Lentil, Kale and Carrot Soup with Creme Fraiche and Dill
Creamy lentils, and earthy vegetables combined to make a soul-satisfying soup. We’ve made this delicious soup many times and even freeze the extras.
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 whole Large Leek Or 2 Small, Chopped
- 3 whole Carrots, Sliced 1/2-inch Thick
- 10 cups Chicken Stock
- ¼ cups Red Wine (optional)
- 1 can (28-ounces) Crushed Tomatoes
- 2-½ cups French Lentils
- 1 bunch Kale, Chopped
- Juice Of Half A Lemon
- 2 teaspoons Coarse Sea Salt
- Pepper To Taste
- ½ cups Creme Fraiche Or Sour Cream
- 3 sprigs Dill, For Garnishing
Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Stir in leeks and carrots. Cover pot, turn heat to low and let vegetables sweat for 20 minutes.Remove lid and add chicken stock, wine (if using), crushed tomatoes, and lentils. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until lentils are soft. Using a ladle transfer about 4 cups of soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour pureed soup back into pot. Stir in kale and lemon juice. Season soup with salt and pepper if needed. Serve soup with a dollop of crème fraiche and a sprig of dill.